« Last post by macbeth on February 03, 2016, 11:09 AM »
I'm working on a Tanuki to try something new, and because I had a really nice piece of deadwood that used to be a Juniper in front of my house. This has actually been quite the ongoing process, and it gave me the chance to try a number of techniques presented in the deadwood techniques book by Jeker. First I had the wood sandblasted to remove bark and loose rotted wood. Then I peeled back the jin branches to improve their look as some had been cut flush. After that, I burned the wood completely black, and subsequently brushed and applied lime-sulfur in many coats. After the lime sulfur, I carved the 4 channels for the whips. I used a wood hardener after the channels were carved, applying a few coats of that, and then brushed down the shine to a matte finish after it dried.
I applied the 4 whips using small staples, and potted the whole thing in a box, where I will not wait patiently for the tree to grow. I have added a bad photoshop of the intended style after growing for a while.