Species Specific > Japanese Maple Bonsai Discussion

Arakawa thread grafting

(1/2) > >>

So I've got this arakawa that had two shoots coming from a large branch chop from the previous owner. Squirrels actually chewed off both shoots this past spring. I had hoped that it would bud back somewhere on the larg chop, but no luck. To prune the branch back to the trunk would be a serious set back as it would be a sizable wound and with the rough bark, a very lengthy time to heal over. The previous chop hadn't healed over completely. I have been thinking about a thread graft through the old branch, questions is, is it (the branch nub) still alive? With no foliage pulling energy from the trunk through the cut back branch, is this a lost cause? I guess the basic question is, does a large cut back brach with no apparent activity continue to heal over or be viable for grafting?
Last photo shows shoots that were there before squirrels in red, exposed old wood in blue and area for potential graft in yellow.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.

Brian Van Fleet:
The stub does look alive, from the rolling apparent in the photos; scrape the callus and see if it's green.  My $.02:
1. A twin-trunk arakawa is a sight to behold, but I'd want the trunks to separate lower, so if you thread graft, I'd go lower than the stub.
2.  Every thread graft I've applied to an arakawa has taken, but needs to be done before buds swell, or maybe now, if you defoliate.
3.  If you prune back to the trunk, save the bark from the stub and press it into cut putty on the wound.  Done right, you won't even notice it yourself after a week.

Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna take another look at the plant with your suggestions in mind. So, if I decide to proceed with my original plan, would you recommend doing the thread graft ASAP and defoliating the entire plant or waiting till late winter next year? If it the latter. I'm mildly concerned that by then the nub may die. It certainly was healing over when the shoots were there, but can't tell if it's continuing or waning due to no more foliage.
Obviously, this is a long term project and I do like the idea of a twin trunk lower on the plant, but wouldn't that really take a long time for that new trunk to catch up and bark up? Isn't it like 15 years to get that corky bark?
Thanks again for your time.


Patrick, I do not have experience with thread grafting cork bark maples. I have been extremely successful with thread grafts on Hornbeams . I ask a question or two....
1- if you are going for twin trunk, I would look lower than the nub, do you agree?
2- if it is a branch you desire, it appears to be too low on the trunk ?
3- either way, I have found thread grafting to be most successful at leaf out in the spring,can you wait?
My thoughts and questions

Jay, thanks for your time and thoughts. I suppose the real issue is the nub. Unfortunately I was not the owner when the decision of that branches placement was made and I guess I just thought that removing it ( the nub) would set the tree back too far due to the corky nature of the bark. However, Brian made a point that if removed, perhaps placing chunks of the removed bark over the wound would minimize the distraction. With the idea of removal in mind, I could certainly wait and I would almost certainly chose a different location ( lower for twin trunk or higher for a first branch). If I wanna try it at the current location, I would think that time is of the essence since there is no activity being drawn into the nub. In other words, the nub may only be an option if I act this growing season.

Maybe the best things is to simply start over?

Here's one last pic that's on the iPad, in case anyone has other options in mind.


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Go to full version