This is a long question, feel free to only answer what you would like and be as short or in detail as you would like. As with anything in Bonsai there are tons of different opinions on aftercare, hopefully this can generate some new ideas and show what others are doing. Please share any experiences you’ve had both positive and negative with aftercare situations.
What is the ultimate aftercare situation for collected conifers within a realistic price range and why? Let’s say you have $3,000 you could spend if needed on everything. However you’d rather save than spend if possible.
Some points to touch on:
1. Structure-What type of environment would you create for the trees to be in? Greenhouse, shade structure, full sun/partial shade, no structure? What materials would you use and why? What temperatures are ideal inside your structure? If out on your bench-shade, partial shade or full sun? What else would you need in a greenhouse-fans, pest/disease control?
2. Misting & Watering-What would you use? How would your system be set up? Would most of this be done by hand or on a timer? What type of environment are you trying to set up? How much humidity or moisture is ideal? What type of temperatures would be ideal? For how long and what frequency would you mist?
3. Soil and Container-What type and particle size would you use? Would you custom make a box, use a plastic pot, air pruning pot? What size container is ideal compared with the root ball? What else is important to consider?
4. Initial Potting-How do you handle the root ball? Do you completely or partially bare root? Do you comb out any roots or rinse with a hose? How do you tie the tree down? Do you soak the roots in something before potting? What else?
5. What else?-Is there anything else you might use? Bottom heat, humidifiers, cold frames, mulch beds, magic dust, etc? Why would this thing be beneficial?